Made from gamey Jackfruit, this lush Vegan Crispy Duck pools delux flavours of Five Spice, molasses and orange juice to give a kicking alt to this otherwise traditional mouth-watering dish. Served on sheaths of pancakes layered with lashings of Spring onions, cucumbers and fragrant coriander leaves, drizzled with plum and hoisin sauces. You just can’t go wrong.
Get your gob around this tasty morsel and fire up all those receptor cells to the big O. And, Swallow.
This dish will have your scrambling for more and will burst your bubble that vegan food can’t be super healthy.
- When you’re wanting a top-notch Chinese night but as a fake away
- When you’re craving for al fresco starter with mates and you’re wanting something different that’ll get mood going
- When it’s date number #2 with a new lass you want to impress with your culinary skills
Vegan Crispy Duck was inspired from sitting in a bustling restaurant in China Town, Soho, London as the sweet smell cinnamon, Star anise and nutmeg subsumed the atmosphere.
Ordinarily, tossed in an ebony wok with exotic Five Spices galore with a flick of the wrist, this Vegan Crispy Duck may not bear the accruements of the original non-vegan Peking Duck recipe. A far cry, indeed. But at least it is a little kinder; dehydration and the use of jackfruit instead, is a little kinder – and, even on that otherwise ever-expanding belt too. You can even still go for those third and fourth helpings.
To boot and add sparkle to this dish, I have even made my own Five Spice combo found here. Check it out too. You can’t go wrong with Five Spice – which just elevates this vegan version to ever greater dizzier heights of yumminess.
Vegan Crispy Duck is raw and paleo.
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 225g Jackfruit (from a can or jar)
- ¾ tsp Five Spice (find recipe above)
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1tbs molasses (grape or pomegranate)
- 1tbs orange juice
- Pinch of salt
- Spring Onions
- Sprigs of coriander
- Plum sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Drain well the Jackfruit and leave to rest for a few minutes in a sieve.
- In a bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Place the Jackfruit into the bowl and use the back of the fork to separate out the Jackfruit.
- Spatula the mixture onto the Teflon lining of a dehydration tray. Thinly spread.
- Dehydrate in a dehydrator for 1 hour at 43 degrees Celsius. (If you don't have a dehydrator place in the oven at a low heat) - this will crisp the mock duck.
- Remove and serve with pancakes, spring onions, cucumbers, coriander, plum sauce or even hoisin sauce.