Sizzling bite-sized Vegan Popcorn Chicken; oyster mushrooms with oregano, paprika and garlic in a crisp rice, cassava and polenta coating.
Unleash your inhibitions. And, dazzle with finesse.
This dish will obliterate any hang-ups that vegan food can’t be super scrummy.
- When you’ve got a night in with the lads watching the footie. And, need a pick me to tuck into as you lash out on the bevvies
- When you’ve got twinkle toes away at the weekend and fancy a little self-indulgence. Just flick on the projector and enjoy home cinema experience with a little luxury to yourself
- When you’ve got a kiddies birthday party to organise. And, these little tasty treats will have them pampering for more
Vegan Popcorn Chicken was inspired when out with a friend at a greasy fast-food place. Nothing had taken my fancy. And, I simply wanted a lush savoury dish that would be quick to make and taste the bees knees.
This savoury dish is vegan and gluten-free, and American cuisine.
What equipment to use
For this dish, I suggest:
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- For the chicken
- 350g oyster mushrooms
- For coating
- 200g Yoghurt
- 75g Glutenous white rice flour
- 75g Cassava flour
- 20g Tapioca flour
- 30g Polenta
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp peppercorns, ground
- Oil for frying
- Pour the yoghurt into a medium sized bowl and set to one side.
- Make the coating by mixing together the flours and spices in a large bowl. Set to one side.
- Line a large tray with parchment paper and place the mushrooms atop. Strip the mushrooms into bite-sized chunks.
- Use your fingers to coat each of the mushrooms in flour and return to the tray.
- Using a small dessert figure dunk each mushroom in the yoghurt and then the flour. Return to the tray. Repeat until completed and coat a second time too.
- Warm oil in a wok to deep fry the popcorn chicken. Once to a sufficiently high degree using a spider spoon quickly dunk the popcorn chicken for about 30 seconds removing and returning to a second tray lined with parchment paper and kitchen paper, to remove excess oil. Repeat until all the popcorn chicken has been lightly fried.
- When ready to serve, air fry the popcorn at 180 Celsius degrees for 4 minutes. Serve warm.