Apricot Bread and Butter Pudding
Apricot Bread and Butter Pudding involved a lot of experimentation. I learnt, tweaked and amended this recipe to create something special, lush, rich and sumptuous. Incidentally, disaster is merely a lesson for me to try better and perfect a recipe, until I know that I will wholeheartedly want to wolf this Apricot Bread and Butter Pudding.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 50g dried raisins
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 75g castor sugar
- 3tb white chia seeds
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- zest of half a lemon
- freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsb cinnamon
- 300g bread, stale
- 60g coconut oil
- 100g Apricot jam
- 25g dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl place the raisins in cold water and leave to soak.
- Place the coconut milk with sugar in a blender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the white chia seeds, vanilla extract, lemon zest, nutmeg and cinnamon. Whisk until the mixture becomes quite frothy. Set to one side for about an hour.
- Cut the slices of bread. Butter the bread with the coconut butter – if the butter is too hard place under a gentle heat until it softens. Thereafter butter the bread with apricot jam.
- Place half the bread into an ovenproof dish. Add half of the chia seed coconut milk mixture. Leave for a couple of minutes and gently, use your fingers to ensure the bread coats the bottom of the dish.
- Place half the raisins and all the dried apricots on the soaked bread. Gently rest the remaining bread on top.
- Add the other half of the coconut mixture on top. Cook for about 25 minutes until the bread turns golden at the edges.
- When the bread starts to turns a lovely golden colour remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle on the remaining raisins and serve immediately.