Beet Green Pesto
Beet Green Pesto is another one of those simple dishes using the beet green stems and leaves of beetroot. These stems and leaves are lush in colour and taste. What I love about this Beet Green Pesto is the roasted pumpkin seeds and garlic cloves. Just add pasta and you have a colourful delicious dish perfect for Spring.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Vegan Main, Vegan Starter
Cuisine: Vegan, Paleovegan, Paleo
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2tbs olive oil
- 500g beet greens (beetroot leaves and stems)
- 50g olive oil
- 10g nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the pumpkin seeds in filtered water about 30 minutes. Drain, place in baking dish with the garlic and coat with olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the pumpkin seeds for about 10 minutes, and remove. Leave the garlic to roast for a further 10 minutes. Set to one side.
- In a blender, place the beet greens with the peeled garlic and half the pumpkin seeds, 50g olive oil, nutritional yeast. Whizz. Remove the beet green mixture and place in a mixing bowl with the remaining pumpkin seeds and season to taste.
- Serve with pasta.