Vegan Besan Ladoos
Vegan Besan Ladoos is a tribute to my mother's cooking. She would make this dish when I was young. I love how the nutty flavours of the pistachios and chickpea meld with the aromatic cardamon. This dish is perfect for Diwali.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert, Snacks
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 250g chick pea flour (otherwise, known as gram flour)
- 125g raw unrefined cane sugar
- 6 cardamoms, de-shelled
- 25g pistachios
- 115g coconut oil
- In a large non-stick saucepan, sieve in the chickpea flour.
- Turn on the medium flame; gently roast the flour, stirring constantly until it turns into a golden brown colour. Be careful, not to burn the flour – which can so easily be done if you are not constantly watching the roasting that is taking place. Turn off the heat and allow to cool down.
- Take the sugar and place into a chopper. Whizz for a few seconds and set aside.
- Separately, place the de-shelled cardamom seeds in a grinder and ground to a finely powdered texture. Add the pistachios to the grinder and whizz for a few seconds only, to a grainy texture.
- Sieve the chickpea flour into a large bowl.
- Top tip – I sieve the flour before cooking and after because otherwise the chickpea tends to clump together into small balls, not ideal for the texture, this recipe requires.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, cardamom and pistachios to the flour, using a spatula and make sure the ingredients are well combined.
- Heat the coconut oil, until it melts and add to the large bowl.
- On a flat surface, place some baking paper.
- Knead the dough, shape into about balls and place on the baking paper, leaving adequate room.
- Leave the balls to stand at room temperature for about an hour. They are then ready to serve.