Glorify your tastebuds. And, indulge.
Frecanto; aubergines, zucchini and potatoes slowly baked in white wine, olive oil, garlic and infused with oregano.
This dish will eliminate your belief that vegan food can’t be made with a few choice household ingredients.
- When you’re having a lazy day and a fulfilling and nourishing dish as you curl up on the sofa is needed
- When you’ve just had a vigorous day at the gym and a hearty meal is much deserved
- When you’ve had a long day at the office and return home famished and a super lush dish that will satiate your appetite is a prerequisite
Frecanto was inspired by Italian friend, Federico who introduced me to this dish. I have kept the ingredients to this Frecanto simply to zucchini, potatoes and aubergines. Optional extras include carrots and peppers. I fell in love with the simplicity and lushness of this dish.
Frecanto is vegan and Italian cuisine.
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 aubergines
- 2 zucchini
- 4 gloves garlic, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, skinned
- 200ml white wine
- 1tbs oregano
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the aubergines and place in a colander. Cover with salt. Place a bowl underneath to allow any excess fluid to accumulate. Leave to stand for a couple of hours and dry the aubergines with a clean tea towel to remove any surplus fluid.
- Into a large mixing bowl dunk, the potatoes with 80g oil and set to one side.
- Similarly, dunk the aubergines and zucchini, and set to one side.
- With the remaining oil add the wine and oregano.
- Place the potatoes, aubergine and zucchini in a large baking dish. Pour over the oil. Cover with aluminium foil and bake in the oven for an hour.
- Serve warm. Drizzle on the remaining oil
- Season with salt and pepper.