Polpette di Melanzane (Sicilian Aubergine Balls)
Polpette di Melanzane (Sicilian Aubergine Balls)is a take on a Sicilian Aubergine dish. It makes a great vegan and vegetarian alternative to meatballs. Who needs meat when you have this dish. I serve this dish with a simple tomato, shallot and herb sauce.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, World Cuisine
- 2 aubergines
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 30g porcini mushrooms
- 30g sundried tomatoes
- 8tbs filtered water
- 2tbs virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 2tbs flaxseeds, ground
- 2tbs cumin seeds, ground
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 25g tarragon
- 2tbs mint
- 225g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 chili (optional)
- virgin olive oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 180 Celsius.
- Soak the mushrooms and tomatoes in the water. Set to one side.
- Heat the aubergines in oil in a large saucepan. Use a pair of tongues to turn the aubergines. Keep turning until the skin starts to blister.
- Transfer the aubergines into an ovenproof dish. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool and set to one side. Remove and discard the skin.
- In a large bowl place mix together oil, juice, flaxseeds, cumin seeds, shallots, tarragon and mint.
- Place the aubergines in a food processor and roughly chop. Place into the linseed mixture.
- Drain the water into the aubergines mixture. Roughly chop mushroom and tomatoes and tip in too. Mix well. Add the breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Add the chopped chili.
- Using your hands knead into a dough. Use both hands to break off the dough and gently shape into small round balls. Set to one side
- When ready to serve sauté the balls and lightly brown. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 124g Calories: 174cal Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 2g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 4g Fiber: 4g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 0g