Vegan Carbonara is another one of my traditional dishes. There is nothing better then making this sauce with some pasta and relaxing into the day. I use shiitake bacon and coconut bacon to add texture and depth to this lush dish – a bit of nutritional yeast with butter beans/cannellini beans, cauliflower and roasted garlic as its base. This Vegan Carbonara is surely to delight.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main, Starter
Cuisine: Vegan, nutfree
- 50g butter beans soaked in water overnight
- 50ml retained butter bean water
- 200g cauliflower florets
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, plus oil for drizzling
- 20g nutritional yeast
- 3tbs oil
- White pepper
- For the mushroom bacon and coconut bacon
- 50g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 25g coconut flakes
- For marinade
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1tbs tamari
- 2tbs maple syrup
- 2tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½tsp paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the butter beans overnight.
- The following day, preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Pressure cook the beans for about 30 minutes. Leave in the cooker with the water. Set to one side.
- In a bowl make the marinade for the mushroom and coconut bacons by mixing together the oil, tamari, apple cider vinegar, paprika and a pinch of salt. Toss in the mushrooms and coat with the marinade. Remove and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with the coconut in the same marinade and similarly place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Set to one side.
- Drizzle some oil over the garlic cloves and roast in a small baking tray in the oven. Bake until golden brown. Carefully remove the skin and set to one side.
- Steam the cauliflower for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the beans into a large mixing dish, separating out the bean liquid. Weigh 50ml of the bean liquid – but use the tail end of the liquid as that will retain the flavour.
- Please the beans and bean liquid into a food processor, with oil and cauliflower, garlic and nutritional yeast. Add a pinch of salt and a little pepper. Whizz until the carbonara sauce becomes a soft consistency. Place into a serving dish.
- Garnish the vegan carbonara sauce with parsley.
- Serve the vegan carbonara sauce with pasta of your choice. Top with the mushroom and coconut bacons.