Papaya Gravlax is one of my more inspired dishes. Of note, gravlax is borrowed from the Nordic countries which commonly use salmon but this dish uses papaya as its base instead. For this dish I marinade the papaya and then dehydrate for about an hour. I have a preference for nori/laver and use that to give this dish the umami flavour.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Starter, Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, raw, paleo, paleovegan
- 500g papaya, skinned
- For marinade
- 1tbs nori/laver
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1tbs maple syrup
- 1tbs sesame seed oil
- ½tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ lime
- 4 crushed juniper berries
- For garnishing
- Couple of sprigs of dill
- Make the marinade by combining the marinating ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Either use a knife or a spiraliser to cut thin slithers of papaya.
- Marinade the papaya for about an hour.
- Lay the papaya flat on the dehydrating sheets and dehydrate for about 1 hour.
- Retain the marinade for dressing but remove the juniper berries.
- Serve the papaya with crackers or whatever you prefer. Garnish with dill and gently dress the papaya with a little of the marinade.