Savour something sweet and savoury that’ll have you nabbing for more. And, dab.
Sweet chestnut roasted with buttery pecans, apricots, cranberries, country herbs and a hint of fennel; Pecan Apricot Nut Roast.
This recipe will smash any belief that vegan food can’t be super tasty.
- When you’ve got the family over for some nosh and need a dish that’s sufficiently meaty but based on nuts and flavoursome too
- When you fancy a Sunday roast and one the trimmings in one dish and have greens to the side
- When it’s the festive season and you need a dish that’ll you and your guests vying for more
Pecan Apricot Nut Roast was inspired when a friend served a process dish. Aghast, thoughts came about to create something majestic as an alternative and this Roast came about.
Pecans are native to Southern United States and Mexico, found along creeks and river beds. Their buttery flavour elevates sweets and savouries. Pecans are rich in magnesium providing anti-inflammatory benefits.
Apricots are high in Vitamin A. providing a much-needed immunity booster.
Pecan Apricot Nut Roast is vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 shallot
- 25ml olive oil
- 75g quinoa
- 200ml filtered water
- 200g chestnuts, cooked
- 50g pecans
- 40g oats
- 25g flaxseeds
- 50g dried apricots
- 25g dried cranberries
- Few sprigs of parsley
- 1tbs marjoram
- 1tbs oregano
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 2tbs filtered water
- Season to taste
- Pierce and boil the chestnuts in filtered boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain and set-aside until cool. Remove the skin with a knife. Set to one side.
- Cook the quinoa in water until the water dissolves.
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Sauté the shallot in the oil until translucent. Add in the garlic cloves. Then add chopped peanuts and cook for a couple of more minutes.
- In a blender roughly pulse the chestnuts. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in the apricots, cranberries, herbs and fennel seeds. Mix well with the quinoa.
- A high-food processor pulse the flaxseeds and oats until fine. Add to the mixing bowl with the shallot mixture and zest.
- Pour in the lemon juice and water.
- Season to taste.
- Fold the chestnut mixture and smooth over to all sides. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the nut roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Turnover and garnish with parsley.
- Serve warm with some vegan gravy