Salsify with Cucumber Mignonette; crunchy oyster-like salsify with cucumbers, wine vinegar, shallots, cracked black pepper and chives.
Get all husky with a crunchy bite. And, pamper yourself.
This dish will dissolve any belief that vegan food can’t be easily rustled up.
- When you’ve a massive party to launch with a few hours of valuable time to spare. And, sprucing some hors d’oeuvres is needed
- When you’re sat on your veranda sipping some prosecco and some tantalising entrées would just round off your evening
- When you fancy something lavish with little to no effort as you focus on having an evening of pure debauchery
I was inspired to make Salsify with Cucumber Mignonette when recipe testing new ideas for a party I was serving. Lots of tasty ideas and recipes.
Salsify with its subtle appealing textures is evocative of a poor man’s Oysters. And, touches the tastebuds with its crunchiness and nuttiness. And, what is great is that
Salsify’s taste when infused with the exact condiments, surpass limitations in wantonness.
You can find
I serve this Salsify dish with my Four Seeded Raw Crackers recipe, found here.
What equipment to use
For this recipe, I suggest:
There isn’t any for this one – (other than making the raw crackers; I use dehydrator for those).
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- ½ lemon, juice
- 250g Salsify
- ½ cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2tbs white wine vinegar
- Cracked pepper
- Season to taste
- Few sprigs of chives
- Squeeze half a lemon and place in a bowl with filtered water.
- Peel and wash the salsify. Discard any leaves. Place in the salsify in the lemon water. Repeat until all the salsify are in the bowl. You may need to cut in two.
- Grate the salsify and return to the lemon water. Set to one side.
- Make the mignonette by finely chopping the cucumber and shallots. Transfer to half to a bowl.
- Pour in the vinegar into the mignonette.
- Lay crackers on a tray. Using your hands lays a few strands of salsify onto each cracker. (Discard the lemon water when all done). Toss on the remaining cucumber and shallots, together with spring onions. Don’t worry about it being messy.
- Grind over some cracked peppers.
- Garnish with lashings of chives.