Indulge in a tasty morsel for a sumptuous dining experience. And, lounge.
Nutty Vegan Crab Cakes with cayenne peppers and sweet paprika, and oozing umami flavours that merge sour, salty, and bitter too flawlessness.
This dish will burst your belief that vegan food can’t be super yummy.
- When you’re scrambling for a healthy main to complement greens and salads
- When you’re al fresco dining and the sun’s beating down and you want something warming yet pillowy
- When you’ve got friends over for a dinner party and you’re wanting something opulent yet understated
Vegan Crab Cakes was inspired by nostalgic school dinner memories and wanting to emulate a taste cruel-free sumptuous dish.
I use an air fryer to give these cakes a slightly drier yet crunch texture in the centre– for me, the essence of a crab cake. Frying or baking is possible, if you don’t have an air fryer, but you’ll get a softer centre. I serve these with my vegan tartar sauce (recipe which is found here).
Vegan Crab Cakes is vegan seafood, paleo and gluten-free.
- 600g potatoes mashed
- 250g maitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1tbs capers, chopped
- ½ lime, juice
- ½tsp cayenne pepper
- ½tsp sweet paprika
- ½tsp white pepper
- Few sprigs of Parsley, chopped
- 100g buckwheat groats
- 25g flaxseeds
- 1tbs bladder wrack, ground (or nori/laver)
- Oil for sealing
- Boil, cook and mash the potatoes. Set to one side.
- Chop the maitake mushrooms, spring onions and capers and place in a large mixing bowl. Add in the lime juice, cayenne, sweet paprika and white pepper. Stir and add in the chopped parsley. Then add in the mashed potatoes.
- Grind the buckwheat groats and flaxseeds and mix well into the mixture. Add in the bladder wrack. Set to one side for about 20 minutes.
- Have a bowl to one side with lukewarm water to dip your hands into now and again.
- Line a tray with parchment paper.
- Take a small handful of the mixture make into a round circle to form a cake. Place on the parchment paper. Keep repeating till you use up the mixture.
- Warm some oil in a frying pan, sauté the cakes for about a minute and return to the tray.
- Cook the crab cakes in an air fryer at 185 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes, in batches.
- Serve with vegan tartar sauce.