Wild Mushroom Nut Roast with fluffy quinoa, peanuts, coconut, thyme, oregano, marjoram, garlic and citrus lemon.
Plunge into oblivion. And, salivate.
This dish will obliterate any belief that vegan food can’t be super nourishing.
- When you’re planning a lush Sunday roast to tuck into and need a centre piece for your fam
- When it’s the holidays and an exquisite roast that’ll satiate your appetite before you doze off for your afternoon nap is what the doctor ordered
- When you’ve got a busy week ahead and as part of your dinner planning you need a lush roast that’ll keep you going
Wild Mushroom Nut Roast was inspired when having friends over for our annual festivities party. This dish combines intoxicating herbal fragrances that’ll have you drooling. In the absence of turkey at Christmas, a hearty nut roast is a perfect substitute.
Wild Mushroom Nut Roast is vegan and glutenfree.
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 75g quinoa
- 200ml filtered water
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2tbs olive oil
- 250g mushrooms (chestnuts, shiitake, oyster, morels, girolles, (chanterelles))
- 75g peanuts, chopped
- 25g coconut flakes
- 40g oats
- 25g flaxseeds
- Few sprigs of thyme, chopped
- 1tbs marjoram
- 1tbs oregano
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 3tbs filtered water
- 1tbs olive oil
- Season to taste
- Pressure cook the quinoa in water for 12 minutes. Set to one side.
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Sauté the shallot in the oil until translucent. Add in the chopped mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Allow the water to sweat from the mushrooms and reduce in size.
- In a blender roughly pulse the peanuts. Transfer to a large mixing bowl with the quoin and herbs.
- A high-food processor pulse the flaxseeds and oats until fine. Add to the mixing bowl with the shallot and mushrooms.
- Pour in the lemon juice, oil and water.
- Season to taste.
- Line a 7-inch cake tin with oil and parchment paper.
- Fold the wild mushroom nut roast into the tin. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the nut roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Serve warm with some vegan gravy.